Listserv Purpose revisited

BJMSynapse at aol.com BJMSynapse at aol.com
Mon Nov 10 15:35:10 PST 1997

In a message dated 11/3/97 10:58:54 PM, George Gateswrote:

<<I had several conversations with new Roundtable members in Seattle about
the
intent of the STS Listserv.  I promised to post the following.  I don't know
if any of them have signed on yet;  but here is the original purpose and
groundrule statement for their edification.

STS-R  LISTSERVER

PURPOSE

To provide a forum for the STS Roundtable community to maintain contact,
share resources, continue deliberations, and advance knowledge in the field.

Specifically, this forum may be used to:

1. Stay in touch with those doing similar work.
2. Request and provide specific help (resources, contacts, etc.)
3. Engage in continuing dialogue on issues pertinent to our research/work.
4. Propose, explore and develop ideas that (may or may not) add to the body
of STS knowledge.
5. Request and provide critical feedback on work-in-progress
6. Initiate and develop collaborative efforts with others in related arenas.
7. Post notes about the STS2 project, and related initiatives of the
Roundtable.

SUGGESTED GROUND RULES:
A. No advertising
B. Celebrating publication is OK
C. Minimize "lurking,"  i.e. contribute, don't just observe.
D. If you know you'll be dropping out of sight for awhile, say so.
E. When in doubt, try courtesy, civility and humor.
F.  ?>>

 ----------

George - i appreciate your reposting the guidleines. I like them all and also
hope that this can continue to be a place where we pass on information about
professional development opportuniities that are relevant to our field. Had
it not been for the announcement of Lauries workshop on th e list serv i
would have  missed a superb two days in Seattle.

I dont know about you, but I just cant keep up with the deluge of brochures
that comes in the mail - i would much rather have colleagues on the list serv
use their judgement about posting information on relevant Professional
development opportunities. (eg workshops, conferences, new books published by
roundtable members )

I also want to acknowledge that I have a vested interest in this issue since
I staff workshops on Participative Design and Appreciative Inquiry - which I
personally believe are subjects of significance to the roundetable - the fact
that I do these these workshops on a not for professional fee basis may or
may not make a differnce to some of you - I dont know.

So as one roundatble member, I would like to see there be room for this sort
of thing (ie short concise announcements of relevant professional development
opportunities) on the list serv. What do you think?

Bernard J Mohr
The Synapse Group, Inc.
57 Coyle St.
Portland, ME 04101

Voicemail/direct line 207-874-0456 (24 hrs)
Synapse office (207) 761-4221 (24 hrs)
Fax (207) 874-0456 (24 hrs)
Home (207) 775-6577 (only after office hours and before 9 pm)
Email     BJMSynapse at AOL.com.