A proposed purpose and norms for WISENET

Healey Healey
Fri Nov 7 15:57:00 PST 1997

Hello fellow WISENETTERS,

As the unofficial process owner for WISENET I thought it appropriate to send out an update.

We have been adding people at a fairly steady pace and are now up to over 100 subscribers.  I was recently reviewing the list and was very impressed with the diverse representation, in terms of backgrounds, experience and current roles in the company. I believe this list is a powerful resource we are not fully utilizing.  I have included, at the bottom of this message, the current (as of 11/6) subscribers if you are interested.

I subscribe to a few external listservs that provide periodic updates of their purpose and norms.  At this time, I would like to propose a purpose and some norms for our list. I do so for a couple of reasons;

1) I would like to see WISENET used more as a support resource for all of us
2) I would like to clarify my current view of the purpose and norms and gather input to improve those for WISENET.

The overall purpose for WISENET, in my opinion is:

WISENET is an integral tool of our change work, it is a method for us to dialogue and increase our capability to help our organizations be more competitive.  We do this by:

 - Staying in touch with people interested in work system improvement
 - Requesting and providing specific help (resources, contacts, etc)
 - Requesting and providing feedback on work-in-progress
 - Engaging in a dialogue on issues pertinent to Work System Improvement
 - Sharing successful practices that may be helpful to others on the list
 - Establishing an ongoing network between people with common challenges/issues
 - Notifying people of what’s new on the TQWS home page

Some norms that I believe will help guide the use of our list are:

 - If you have a reply that would only be beneficial to the originator of the message, press "reply".  If you think it would benefit the whole group press "reply all"

 - If there is ever a doubt in the meaning behind a message, seek to understand first, before reacting.
(In my experience, communicating by email can sometimes cause confusion.)

 - If you send a message to the WISENET for input on a topic that would be of general interest to the whole group, please send a compilation of the input back out to the list for their use.  For example if some asks; Does anyone know any good books on Feedback?  If you get several suggestions for books, put the list of books in one message and send them back out as a resource for the list.

 - Find the time to read and respond to the messages generated from WISENET.  You may think your response is already known or won’t help, but you should let the requester make that choice.

 - These messages are most often a request for help from a fellow employee.  We must be motivated to help each other to make our company better.

 - If in the course of our work on this list we create or identify something that will be valuable to keep we will add it to the TQWS home page.

If you have any additions or questions, please don’t hesitate to reply back to me, or the whole list if appropriate.  In keeping with my proposed norms, once I receive your input I will make the changes and send out a revised purpose and norms.

WISENET will be a powerful support tool for all of us, when we choose to use it in that way.

Thanks, Tim Healey
Current WISENET subscribers as of 11/6/97.

Allott, Greg, Baldes, Jim, Beebe, Bob, Brandt, Cheryl, Booth, Gene, Bowersock, Doug
Brown, Donna, Brown, Schereena, Buchanan, Lynn, Carlberg, Norm, Carmichael, Peggy, Camozzi-Ekberg, Trish, Chase, Lesa, Crawford, Robert, Crowell, Gary, Davis, Paul, Dempster, Rod, Eason, Norma, Eastberg, Stan, Erickson, Deborah, Estrem, Shannon
Farley, Rachel, Forbes, Steve, Freiberger, Jana, Garrison, John, Gautney, Michael,
Gress, Georgia, Hanseling, Sandy, Hansen, Debra, Harding, Margot, Harrison, Catriona, Healey, Tim, Hill, Carol, Hill, Steve (CH 5), Hogate, Terry, Holman, Peggy,
Hooper, Dennis, Hudgins, BJ, Hunter, Rhonda, Huntley, Julie, Jacobs, Leena,
Jacobson, Carole, Jaenicke, Nancy, Joles, John, Karch, Ken, Kearns, Doug,
Krzewinski, Paula, Kwapiszeski, Sheri, Leding, Dave, Leet, Bruce, Lewis, Cary
Mann, Neil, Mavers, John, McCarty, Bob, Medlin, Marie, Melone, Sue, Mersereau, Susan
Mitchell, Penny, Murphy, Bob, Ball (Nesbitt), Nancy, Oliver, Steve, Oltman, Nancy, Orton, Deb, Orynik, Roman, Parent, Norman, Partridge, Marie, Paslay, Marsha,
Petty, Cindy, Phillips, Larry, Pickles, David, Porta, Mark, Pulliam, Eddie
Redmon, Pam, Reimer, Julie, Renaud, Jacques, Roselli, Steve, Roth, JR, Sauve, Gerry
Schneider, Phil, Schrag, Dwight, Seitz, David, Seluga, Dave, Shea, Dan, Slater, Karin
Smith, Debbie, Smith, Denise, Sorenson, Karen, Thatcher, Gloria, Thurston, Bob,
Tobey, Fred, Trepanier, AJ, Tyer, Carl, Tuttle, Lewis, Watts, Richard, Weiss, Lori, Wilber, Barry, Wills, Barry, Wooten, Chris, Wright, Percy, Wroblewski, Bob,
Zambroski, Fred, Zimmerman, Dick (CH)