FW: A matrixing process for Open Space on-going work

Holman, Peggy holmanp at wdni.com
Fri May 16 09:27:00 PDT 1997

 ----------
From: Anne Stadler
To: prasad kaipa
Cc: Holman, Peggy ; fidelma Mcginn; lee hartwell; mark jones; michael
lindfield; paul gleiberman; MARK HOWER; Harrison Owen; birgitt bolton;
anil sachdev; arun wakhlu; larry peterson; Frances Mccue
Subject: A matrixing process for Open Space on-going work
Date: May 09, 1997 6:09AM

Hi, all.  Here is a description of a wonderful process Christopher
Schock and his colleague J. F. Marechal have devised to help
organizations SEE what on-going work is emerging out of an Open Space
event and how to rationalise it and support it.  They use it with
their clients who are major corporations, etc. here in France.

YOU can do this as a consultant with your client.  That's what they
do.  You could also put it UP ON A WALL and involve a whole "convening
group" in doing it.  I am passing it along cause I know we all have
NEED for learning these things ASAP from each other.  I'm also
suggesting they write it up for inclusion in At Work.

So here it is:
  Draw a rectangle, divide it into four quadrants.  Label the
boundaries as follows:  The right side boundary is US/Internal.
The left side boundary is Outside/External.  The top boundary is
Spirit/Meaning.  The bottom boundary is Practical.
  Now place each title from the OPen Space in one of the quadrants.
  The bottom right would be any title referring to practical internal
to the organization steps people are capable of doing on their own,
with minimum Executive oversight.
  The top right would be titles referring to long range issues,
involving a number of segments of the organization or systems of the
organization, requiring Executive championing and long-range
attention.
  The bottom left would be titles referring to customers, suppliers,
other "outside" entities which are short-term practical actions people
could take with minimal Executive oversight.
   The top left would be titles referring to strategy, vision,
organizational direction.  These would require Executive championing
and attention over the long-term.

Now, draw a circle in the center, linkng all the four quadrants.
To place in that circle, generate a sentence or a phrase which is the
"ESSENCE" reflected in all four quadrants.  That sentence or phrase is
the touchstone of the work of everyone following up the Open Spacae
event.  It is the "intention" common to all the divergent outcomes,
and would be publicised and referred to as such.

 ---It occurs to me you could do a graphic of the whole thing as a
poster, putting it up somewhere so the whole company could SEE what
happened, who is responsible for which on-going work, and what the
Intention overall is.----

This is really a wonderful contribution these guys have made to the
on-going opening of space in organizations.  They can be reached at
1-46-22-33-38 (Paris, France)  The address is 10 Logelbach, Paris,
75017 France.  Do contact them.  I think Chris is on AOL.