Introduction

MBlum5305 at aol.com MBlum5305 at aol.com
Tue Mar 11 17:45:09 PST 1997

<< It was great to receive your response.  Our Open Space was "Strategic Plan
for the Poor" and all of the participants were people who held individual
pieces of providing services across a continuum and across a major health
system.  This is the first time all of the pieces ever came together at one
time.  There was tremendous learning as to who was doing what.  Sounds pretty
incredible that this wasn't common information, but no system has been in
place to capture it.  Sisters of Mercy have a defined value of preferential
option for the poor and designate several million dollars a year toward this
effort.  Although representatives from the target population were not
participants at this forum, that does not preclude it happening in the
future.  Given where we were at the time, I am grateful to have had the
oppportunity to receive such enthusiastic support and commitment from the 50
people that attended.  The work continues that was started in the forum.  We
are in partnership with the community in establishing a community healthcare
system.  this is a monumental effort and requires a shift in the way health
care is provided.  as you can imagine, there are many roadblocks.  We are
hopeful that open space will be a vehicle for moving us forward.