OST and Strategic Managemen

Larry Peterson lpasoc at inforamp.net
Fri Mar 7 13:00:36 PST 1997

Uwe and All:

I have opened the space in strategic "management" situations with excellent
results. I have yet to do it in a "technical" organization although I have a
degree in electrical engineering. In one bank, the broad strategic
directions were set by senior management and then we had a 2 day open space
for the managers to determine the elements of the strategic plan. They did
it in a way that the senior team liked and the committment to implementation
was very high. They completed their plan ahead of schedule. The senior team
took what emerged in the Open Space and fashioned it into the plan that they
then used to go forward. They were clear to the managers assembled that they
were developing the plan, but that the senior team had final say. We also
set financial parameters for implementation that allowed teams to move
forward if they got a yes and it fit under $100,000.

Larry