Introduction

Lindfield, Michael J Michael.Lindfield at PSS.boeing.com
Tue Mar 4 11:02:18 PST 1997

Greetings Marlene,

Your question is about using OS to address the psychological effects of
change. For me, the most important gift of OS is to call together
everyone in the system who is touched by the 'change'. Depending on
where in the life-cycle the OS occurs, it can be used either to help
shape the coming changes by involving the whole community in the
creative phase or it can be used to discover the concerns, needs and
possibilities that an already-announced set of changes generates.

I guess it all boils down to the question of what does the current
leadership of the organization believe to be true about themselves and
others in the system. The prevailing mental model (which I believe
informs behaviors, values, relationships and structure) will ultimately
determine whether the organization is truly open to engaging the whole
community in shaping the future or whether the operating assumption is
that the 'top' decide and the rest have to learn how to adapt and cope.

Just a few thoughts.

Best wishes,

Michael

"Bid me run and I will strive for things impossible"  (Shakespeare)

Michael Lindfield
Organization Development Consultant

The Boeing Company
P.O. Box 3707,  MS 7A-25,
Seattle,  WA 98124-2207,  USA

206-865-2255 (Office/Voice Mail)     206-865-4851 (FAX)
michael.j.lindfield at boeing.com