An OSI Policy Question

Open Space Institute osi at tmn.com
Wed Mar 26 19:45:23 PST 1997

g.ems.vsnl.net.in>,
              "Ann Thomas (E-mail)" <104423.1673 at compuserve.com>,
              "Lynn Thomas (E-mail)" <lthomas at aol.com>,
              "Kay Vogt (E-mail)" <caveoat at aol.com>,
              "Bob Wiebe (E-mail)" <rwiebe at aol.com>,
              "Metta Zetty (E-mail)" <gkmz at onr.com>,
              "Alan Kline (E-mail)" <AlanKlein at gnn.com>
To:           Multiple recipients of list OSLIST <OSLIST at idbsu.idbsu.edu>

I recently had a question come up that in traditional organizations would
be made by the people who control questions of policy.  It raised the
question for me of who is the "right" audience for this kind of question in
the Open Space Institute(s)*?  So, I am going to try an experiment.  I am
going to put out the question with the intention of holding a discussion
and "meta-discussion."  The discussion is on the question (don't worry,
I'll state it in a moment!) and the "meta-discussion" is on who do you
think SHOULD be making this sort of decision.

Soooo... here's the story.  Several situations have arisen of late where
people who are making significant contribution to OS are asking, "can I
trade service for membership?"  One example is one of the people who
sponsors OST training.  Another is the person who is re-developing the web
site.  So what do you think?  Should we trade service for membership?  If
so, who/how do we decide when it's enough service to merit membership?

And the meta-question:  is this an appropriate topic for a group like this
 -- interested parties, some of whom who have become members, others not.
Is it a question for members only?  Or is it a question for an OSI board?

(A parenthetical note: as I've been mulling the role of the OSI board of
late, the thing I've come to that makes most sense to me is its primary
task is to hold space: to be fully present and totally invisible.)

My hope is that this will be a useful discussion not only for OSI but for
anyone rethinking questions of power, authority and governance.

Peg Holman

*  I'm using a plural as a reminder that there are currently two OSI
entities established with different governance structures: the OSI of
Canada which I believe is guided by a steering committee and the Open Space
Institute which is incorporated as a non-profit in the US.  By law, that
means the OSI (in the US) has a board.