Diversity "Training" and OST

Anne Stadler annestad at sprynet.com
Wed Feb 26 19:11:48 PST 1997

Recently I did a two-day OS event for "Leadership Tomorrow" on the
subject: Diversity: Issues, Opportunities, Concerns.  It was part of
their regular curriculum which they offer every year to a very very
diverse class of Seattle "leaders" (75 or so people).  The curriculum
committee decided to use OST as the container for their diversity module
and the "teachers" participated along with the "students" as equals in
the module.

   It was superb!  The class rated it 4.75 out of 5.0.. the highest
rating Jan Levy, the Director, could remember.  AND, they want to use
OST in their opening Retreat as well as to explore how to use the
principals and rituals in their on-going work during the year.  Some of
the reflections mentioned: "Everyone was listened to, with respect."
"We really behaved as "leaders""  "The first time I've ever been in a
diversity "training" where true diversity happened."

   It tremendously advanced their "community" with each other. And many
spoke of the practice of the Law of Two Feet (following what had heart
and meaning for them as individuals) as being the foundation of
leadership.

   As yet, we who were the convening group (The Director & faculty, and
me) haven't been able to get together to reflect and debrief.  But in
the immediate aftermath, the faculty were ecstatic, very very
enthusiastic about repeating this approach to diversity learning.  So, I
enthusiastically recommend this to all of you!!  And I'd be happy to put
you in touch with the faculty and the Director of Leadership Tomorrow.
(It's a program that's in 450 cities in the country, run here by the
Chamber of Commerce, and as I said, there's a special emphasis on
gathering a very diverse group of leaders for each year's class.)

   Let me know if any of the rest of you have tried anything similar.
All the Best!!  Anne Stadler