Fw: Use of Open Space

Murli Nagasundaram rismurli at cobfac.idbsu.edu
Wed Feb 19 08:37:46 PST 1997

What a great subject for an open space!  Open Space helps a group
self-organize.

For me, the first step is to get VERY clear about the purpose of the
gathering.  People participate in OS meeting because they are drawn to
something they really care about. The way you express the purpose has a lot
to do with how effective you are at attracting participation.

With clarity of purpose, who to invite becomes the next major thing to
consider.  The simple response on this is to invite whoever cares about the
subject.  Experience shows that the more diverse the group, the greater the
possibility for innovation.

The web site has several tools that might be helpful to you: a check list,
a sample invitation, some other items.  If you don't have a copy of Open
Space Technology, it is a "cook book" that can provide a lot of guidance
for doing an open space event.  The order information is available via the
web site (www.tmn.com/openspace).

I've forwarded this note to the Open Space listserv, which is a group of
Open Spacers that may have other suggestions for you.

Feel free to ask more questions if I can be of further assistance.

Peg Holman
Open Space Institute