Reflections on OSI as a learning community

Anne Stadler annestad at sprynet.com
Fri Feb 28 17:49:17 PST 1997

I woke up this mornng thinking about how fortunate I am to have the
emergent OSI as a learning community.  It is the only place in my life
which is consciously committed to practicing fundamental principles,
values,and rituals of human self-organizing-- and to growing itself as
an organization THAT WAY.  Not doing it the way we've been conditioned
to organize.

I've been thinking that this means we are experiencing collective growth
via individuals taking responsibility for what each cares about
contributing to the whole, and holding themselves accountable for that,
learning what that really means. Not STARTING with a family-- but with
other people who care-- many of whom haven't even met each other (such
as the folks on this Listserv!).   Awesome!

In the past few days, I have realised both how unfamiliar that is, and
how much prior conditioning kicks in when new situations present
themselves.  AND I have realised how much the territory, though
unfamiliar, is VERY VERY rewarding!!
   For instance, in the OS Training Learning Circle:  we evaluated and
learned from what we'd done in the past, and then opened ourselves to
what wanted to come forward now.  Starting with what has heart and
meaning for each of us about OS Training gave rise to such a rich and
"easeful" learning experience.  That's the rewarding side.

On the "difficult" side:
   Peg Holman really has taken responsibility, since the beginning, for
growing the basic necessities. A few of us have helped her, including
Murli who volunteered this Listserv, and Harrison who turned over his
website to OSI.
   I've noticed how diligent Peg is about paying attention to what are
the few basics we MUST put in place, and to bringing those forward as
she realises them.  She has really cared for the evolution of the
WHOLE.  She has put a huge effort into getting the website UP, and NOW
we have the rudiments in place: a website and Listserv (thanks to
Murli's marvelous initiative!!), a few Learning Circles functioning, and
more people attracted to help grow the OSI.  It has been a process of
gardening: seeding, growing, and learning.  Whenever we've moved to do
it the "old way"-- some reminder has emerged that this isn't Kansas
anymore!!
It's "difficult" because we really are FEW in number at this point, and
we dont yet know whether anyone else is REALLY going to say "YES!  I
want to be part of this emergent learning community".

"Difficult" also, because we are publically LEARNING. We're taking that
stance: not that we are the people who know how to do it all-- but we
are a learning community, truly opening ourselves up to emergent
realities, learning how to show up, share, and stand for leading from
this stance!
   A number of us are learning from the cancellation of OS Training this
year.  What is "right" about that?  What are the lessons to learn?  Is
it over in the form it used to happen? What wants to come forward now?
(For people conditioned to "doing it right"--public learning
opportunities take some getting used to!!!, even with a commitment to
being "open to outcomes!")
   We're learning to create and communicate and BE in community via a
website and Listserv.  For me that's a BIG BIG learning.  I've been
mostly a face to face person in my life! Yet my colleagues are in Idaho,
Baltimore, Canada, wherever (I haven't SEEN who's out there!).

Well, I want to say THANKS!  It's what I want to be doing.  And I am SO
GRATEFUL we're in this together!!!

Love!  Anne