Invitation

Barry Owen barryo at rsirentals.com
Thu Apr 17 20:23:08 PDT 1997

Well! It's not quite the "Dead Moose Society" but it's my first Open
Space event, so I thought I might post the invitation here. Anyone is
welcome . . . or send me a critique of this invitation.

It's sure been quiet around here . . . I guess everyone is off working.
Have a GREAT week-end!

Barry Owen

You're Invited . . .
                                The First
                                                A. August
                                                U. union
                                                G. getting
                                                U. us
                                                S. spiritually/spatially
                                                T. together

International Symposium on
Living Deepak Chopra's
Seven Spiritual Laws of Success
August 24-27, 1997

You are invited to the first EVER A.U.G.U.S.T. International Symposium
on living Deepak
Chopra's Seven Spiritual Laws of Success.

This conference has come about through the collective spirit of people
who have come together through the wonderful, giving, sharing, taking,
receiving, and loving participation in the Deepak Chopra Forum on the
internet. The forum is sponsored by Random House. Each person came to
the forum with a common interest - further exploration of the self in an
uninhibited environment. Throughout the year, the group has bonded . . .
each supporting the others in times of need . . . each giving and taking
exactly what he or she has needed.

This conference is not for everybody, especially those who expect or
require a tightly structured, carefully controlled event. We will enter
a two day period of Open Space, without a prepared agenda or clear-cut
knowledge as to how it will end. We will only know the theme, who is
coming, and the desire to expand the dimension we call NOW. Be prepared
to be surprised.

Our Theme - Living the Seven Spiritual Laws of Success

Each of us has our own, unique interpretations and experiences. Each of
us shares a common passion for seeing ourselves through others as we
journey on our respective paths of life. All that we know for sure is
that transformation is the one true constant in our lives. We have been
fortunate to find others who share our passion. We are consistently
intrigued (and surprised) by others' knowledge, wisdom, perspectives,
cultural diversities, and abilities to take the concept of love to a new
dimension. We have accepted the eminence of transition and have shared
great joy and sorrow together in the past several months.

And so we have travelled in the cyberspace dimension, tapping along on
our keyboards,
laughing, smiling, weeping, grinding teeth, playing, encouraging,
consoling, and displaying our writings and poetry. Yet we have
identified a common wish to begin putting faces with the sometimes
cryptic "handles" and email addresses that seem just a bit
two-dimensional. SO . . . the notion of a "gathering" began to take
form. It began as some whimsical ideas of meeting in a wonderful little
village in Maine until practicality got the best of us. How could we
make this MOST accessible to ALL members of our "forum family" without
causing undue expense? Tennessee seemed to be the answer and so it is.

NOW for our theme. What are the issues and opportunities present in
living the seven spiritual laws in our daily lives on this diverse
planet we share? There are no concrete answers . . . no ambiguous
questions . . . only our own journey with the maps that we make as we go
along. The intent of this symposium is not to derive a specific content
or outcome. Our experiences in this Open Space will be entirely
dependent upon the exercise of individual and collective responsibility
to see that content and outcomes come to the surface. The content will
be what each person brings, and the "outcomes" what we all create.

What's going to happen?

Well . . . we're not entirely sure at this point. We know that we will
come together for some good, creative thinking, creating, celebrating,
playing and just simply BEING. Beyond that, our only expectations will
be those that we bring with us from our respective life experiences. The
design of our two and a half days together is quite simple. We will
gather for a "warm-up" reception Sunday afternoon as our group begins to
trickle into the wonderful paradise of the rolling hills of Middle
Tennessee. When it starts will be the right time, everyone present will
be the right people, whatever happens will be the only thing that could
have, and when it's over It's over. Monday morning we embark on our
journey. Given the collection of souls that will be present, the design
will not be to tell people what to do but provide them a supportive
environment in which everyone will be able to do what needs to get done.
So we begin with "setting the agenda" followed by a day of opening
spaces and exploring. "Evening news" will end our first day. Tuesday
morning we begin with a time for morning announcements - more opening
spaces and finish with the closing to honor the spirit we have shared.
Without a doubt, the closing will actually be an opening for continued
dialogue through other means . . . we know that this event will never
really end; thus the inevitable celebration (party) on Tuesday evening.

Practicalities

Full Participation - Please come for the entire symposium so that you
may give and receive in full measure. You may want to consider planning
to leave Wednesday morning after having a night to sleep on the
experience and perhaps finding a cool rock to sit on to simply BE.

Facilities/Reservations/Costs

We are going to a wonderful state park in the hills of Middle Tennessee.
The registration procedures are quite simple.

1) Email your name, address, and telephone number to Barry Owen at
"barry at rsirentals.com" or to Peggy Rushing at "rushing1 at ix.netcom.com"
along with a request for a registration packet. Barry will send a packet
of information to you through "snail-mail."

2) Return by mail your completed registration form along with a $25
check in US dollars made payable to Barry Owen with "AUGUST Symposium"
in the memo section.

3) Follow the instructions in your packet to make your room
reservations.

4) Make your travel plans and prepare yourself for a fabulous life
experience.

The rooms each have two double beds and cost $65.98/night. The Inn has a
restaurant with
buffet style meals or menu ordering. If you would like to find a
room-mate, email Barry or Peggy and we'll try to put people together.

Finally, Please invite any good people known to you who will share and
contribute to our AUGUST Symposium. We will send them a packet. Just
email their addresses to "barry at rsirentals.com" or send it to:

Barry Owen
The Owen Group
3010 West End Avenue 6B
Nashville, TN 37203

Questions? email or call 615-292-0709 or fax to the attention of Barry
Owen 615-327-3248
 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----
 --------------
Registration Form
Your Name_____________________________________
Address________________________________________
City/State/Zip___________________________________
Telephone #_____________________________________
email Address___________________________________
Enclose check for $25 made payable in US funds to "Barry Owen"

Thank you to Deepak Chopra for his inspiration and Random House for
creating and sustaining our forum.

Where Are We Going?

The first three pages of this invitation were designed to be broadcast
over the internet; so in the interest of "security," we chose not to
include the actual location. Only those people who express genuine
interest in attending the AUGUST Symposium by furnishing their names and
addresses will receive the complete information packet.

Fall Creek Falls, TN

The facilities there are perfect for our symposium . . . lots of
creative meeting spaces, fabulous opportunities to explore the Tennessee
wilderness, and relatively convenient to Nashville.

To get there from Nashville (see enclosed map)

        -Find Interstate 40 and head East for 75 miles
        -Take exit 288 (HWY 111) and head south for about 36 miles
        -Follow the Fall Creek Falls signs by taking Rte 284 for 16 miles to
the park
        -Wiggle around in there until you happen upon the Inn

So it is about 130 miles from Nashville. The roads are good . . . it
took me about 2 hours without breaking any laws.

Alcohol is NOT served at the Inn (State Park), but you may bring your
own and they will
provide the "set-ups." They ask that any drinking be done "behind closed
doors"  and that we not get too rowdy - probably didn't need to be said
but it was in my notes.

Inn Reservations (Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday - August 24, 25, 26)

Call 1-800-250-8610 to make your reservation. Please be sure to tell the
person that you are with "The Owen Group - AUGUST Symposium" so your
reservation will count within our block of rooms. (This will cover our
conference space)

Each room has two double beds and costs $65.98/night - they will require
the first night's "rent" as a deposit when you make the reservation so
have a credit card ready. Some folks may want to double-up and share a
room. Additional adults (16 years or older are $6.83/night). Children
under 16 stay FREE. With this invitation, I have enclosed various
brochures about the park and facilities.

Now, have I forgotten anything? If you have questions, feel free to
email me at
"barry at rsirentals.com" or call at 615-292-0709 Fax is 615-327-3248

There's your invitation - all you have to do now is get there. I will
send a list of all known participants around the third week of July to
everyone who has registered. When you get this list, call a friend or
make some new friends and share the ride (It's cheaper this way) . . .
you'll be able to start the symposium early . . . in the car. I'll see
you Sunday 8/24 . . . Barry Owen

Less is more!