The Dead Moose Society

Birgitt Bolton birgitt at worldchat.com
Sat Apr 5 07:13:22 PST 1997

Following is an advance invitation to those of you on this list, that will
soon be going out in the Open Space newsletter. Written by Diane Brown and
myself. I hope you enjoy it.
Birgitt

Beware all of you in the world of Open Space. Another entity has formed and
we are extending an invitation to all of you to participate. At a recent
Opening the Space event, we discussed the importance of living our truth,
with good heads and good hearts, and extending care and compassion into the
world. We then talked about the hazards associated with living this way.
What happens when collusion is named? What happens when a truth that
everyone knows but no one ever talks about, is named? What happens when
Space is Opened and truth surfaces?

At first glance, the answer would seem that the air get cleared and life
goes on better than before. Our collective experience has told us that this
is not so. It is more common that the truth teller comes to harm, is
targetted for harm somehow. Or Open Space itself is called into question,
with people so angry at having the truth come out, that they end up being
angry at Open Space as a process that they say "didn't work, look what
resulted".

So...we identified that all of this was like having a dead moose under the
table. Everyone knows it is there, it smells, maybe it has gathered flies,
is sickening, but no one wants to say the obvious. And we decided that Open
Space is to be honored for "Putting the dead moose on the table" so that it
can be identified and appropriately dealt with.

And thus we formed the Dead Moose Society as an adjunct to the Open Space
Institutes and all good Open Space work everywhere. The purpose of the Dead
Moose Society is to get the Dead Moose on the table wherever we can, and to
support each other in efforts to do so. The principles that govern us are:
Whoever comes is the right people, Whatever happens is the only thing that
could have, Whenever it starts is the right time, and When it's over, it's
over. Added to these four principles that come thanks to Harrison, are four
others that come thanks to Angeles Arrien: Show up  (or choose to be
present), Pay attention (to what has heart and meaning), Tell the truth
(without blame or judgement), Be open to outcome(not attached to outcome).

THE INVITATION

If needed, form your own Dead Moose Society with whomever you can interest
in this very important work. They must be people who are willing to take
risks, have courage, have vision, enjoy community. And also be committed to
the principles that encourage us to be about our own truth also.

LOCATION

The first meeting of this Society is in a pub in Unionville, Ontario on
April 16th (Unionville is small, probably only one pub, so it shouldn't be
hard to find us). This sets the tone for where other Society meetings
should take place: a good pub.

FEES

We would like to say there are none, but for those of you that try to live
your truth, and who have tried to name the truth in an organization, you
know the price can be very high. Nothing less than your soul, sometimes.
Also, if you could send Diane or Birgitt your "Dead Moose" stories, we
would be most appreciative.

AGENDA

Whatever happens, playfulness is certainly essential. We all need to come
forward with the abundance mentality of giving and sharing. For us, for the
first meeting, some agenda items that may get included (but since this is
Open Space, who knows?):
1.Where did the Dead Moose come from anyway?
2.The loudest burp.
3.And when moose(s) extend their mating call, do we try to mate with them?
What is the plural of moose?
4.How do you spell carcass?

Sent to you all in love and playfulness.

Birgitt