opening space with very small groups

Gerard Muller gm at openspace.dk
Tue Sep 19 14:40:28 PDT 2006

Hello Esther,

I have had a couple with less than ten people. There's a few thoughts I
have about OS and a small group:

- it seems to be even more important than with a large group to have a
central question which is very powerful. After all, if you have 300
participants and some really want to do something else,
   that's one thing. If you have a few people, it could feel different
(meaning I am not sure whether it would really be different, because I
haven't experienced that yet).

- I have also with the smaller groups done a full opening but with
smaller groups sometimes comes a smaller room. If the circle is very
small, space can get cramped. So I suggest to make
   sure you have space enough

- I have worked with teams in an organisation which had held 10-15 open
space events. Each team member in the leadership team had actually been
trained in OST.
   Several times OST was used in creating the agenda and process for a
team meeting, but without the whole opening. Worked well.

Greetings from (today) Holland,

Gerard Muller
Open Space Institute Denmark
Phone: (+45) 21269621			Skype: openspace1
Mail: gm at openspace.dk