Next Generation

Harrison Owen hhowen at adelphia.net
Thu Sep 14 06:13:19 PDT 2006

Gabriela -- It is a rare and wonderful morning when you awake to find a thought expressed with such clarity and elegance that you can only sit there in silent appreciation for the thought and the thinker. You provided such a moment for me in your words, "For me, OST has nothing to do with trends. It simply touches the heart of people and because it gives official permission for selforganization. For me its all about "back to the roots and forward to higher consciousness". I
deeply believe and feel, its all just the beginning - based on millions of evolutionary open space years." And most particularly your last sentence --"back to the roots and forward to higher consciousness".

I have always been clear that OS was and is a Half-way Technology. It has been (and I guess continues to be) very useful as a starting point, but only that. It is rather like training wheels on your bicycle when you were a kid (or the steadying hand of a parent or older sibling) during your first rides. In the moment, but only in that first moment, they (helping hands / training wheels) are most useful, even essential. But the whole point is to "do it all by yourself." And certainly there is little need, and less utility for the design of more and better training wheels -- at least not for you.

Pushing the analogy a bit further -- when riding the bicycle of life, maturity occurs when not only are training wheels a thing of the past -- but even the thought of training wheels is banished, except as a fond memory of something that helped you on your way. And you really fly when there is no thought at all -- a mindless moment. Just being. I suppose you could talk about all this in terms of trusting the process (bicycle/balance), but I think it goes a lot deeper than that. It is more like total union in an organic entity, bicycle/me.

All analogies break somewhere along the line -- or should be broken, and riding the bicycle is no exception. The problem is that there are two (at least) parts -- bicycle and me. In life, I find that it is all a single, constantly changing, always the same, ever evolving, and "already there" organic phenomenon. Call it a Complex Adaptive System, Self-Organization or whatever (and no name really does it), but for sure it is a seamless journey, and we are on it -- with or without permission.

I guess I did have to chuckle a bit, Gabriela, at your attribution to Open Space of the power to "give official permission for self-organization." I know what you meant -- but from where I sit, self-organization doesn't need permission, nor do we need permission to self-organize. Self-Organizing is what we are, along with all the rest of the Cosmos. It does seem, however, that we do need an opportunity to learn, or better, remember this fundamental fact of life, and there is no question that OS does provide that.

Goodness knows where all this is taking us, but I don't think it has much to do with designing better processes (2nd Generation OS, for example) or even your "well designed social architectures." In fact, I don't think it has anything to do with "designing" whatsoever. For me it is rather more like being an appreciative participant in the ongoing evolution of the cosmos. Our part is a small one, but when it comes to the business of design, the total system can take care of that pretty much all by itself. We might be helpful, and for sure we can learn ways in which we as individuals might flow more gracefully and effectively in the great rivers of the cosmos -- whatever all that might mean. And I think we are on the way to finding out.

Thanks for the thoughts, Gabriela!

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Dr.